Saturday, April 16, 2011

Bon Courage

So I was talking with one of my French professors yesterday. He asked me how my quarter was going, what my future plans were, etc. I proceeded to tell him about how I'm writing a lot and actually had to drop my French literature class because my schedule was too hectic. After all, I'm trying to finish classes for my major. He knew that I applied for the French program, etc etc. I told him how I was waitlisted. So we had a good five to ten minute conversation (en français, mind you) about all of these crazy and overwhelming plans for the future.

Anyway, as we were parting, he said to me "bon courage". Typically in French, this means something like "good luck". But in the French language, there's two different ways of saying "good luck". It's either bon chance, which means "good fortune/luck" or it's bon courage. The phrase bon courage emphasizes, obviously, the idea of perseverance and courage. I had always knew what the phrase meant but it really struck me as we parted.

According to the French/English dictionary that's my bedside companion, the word "courage" in French is essentially the same word in English: courage, bravery. But surprisingly, it also means energy. So the essence of the phrase bon courage is to have strength to do the task at hand, to be brave in difficult times.  So that's exactly what I'm going to do. Encouraging, oui?

Bon courage à tous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment